Monday, May 29, 2006

RDM and the Amazon River

So, there I was with Ronald D. Moore, and we stood on the bank of the Amazon River. He looked to me and then into the distance at the far bank and said quietly, "Let's go." He then stepped into the river and leaned down to swim across. I followed hesitantly. As we slowly crossed the water I asked him if there were not snakes, piranhas and worse in the river that would attack and eat us. His reply was a confident, "Yes. We'll be fine." Somehow I wasn't reassured. I could see or maybe just sense hundreds of strange and different creatures moving about in the slow black waters below. We still had quite a distance to cover to the far side and I concentrated on making as little commotion as possible, lest I attract the hungry bellies and razor teeth and claws of whatever mysterious beasts prowled below me.

Alas, as we neared the other side, the mist lifted a bit to reveal twisted roots, vines and brush, a very small and muddy shoreline, and a rock face pocked with crevices. Ronald D. Moore was undaunted. It was here, about 20 feet from the shore that I first saw a creature come to the surface. It was a snake and he was (thankfully) swimming away from us. It was an amazing creature, he was perhaps twenty feet long and about as big around as your average arm. He was bright white with a few dark markings along his body and had a sort of small fin along his back. Strange for a snake to have a fin... What worried me was the snake was headed to the same area Ronald D. Moore was leading us, but I'll tell you now that I never again saw that snake in my dream.

Once on the shore we immediately began making our way up the rock face. It was tough, but not too difficult to get to the top. Once there, I saw around me, turned up soil, as if construction vehicles had recently demolished whatever housing or vegetation had occupied this area, in the dark distance I saw a house, or small building of some sort. I think there was a large vehicle next to it. This is where my memory of the dream gets hazy. Ronald D. Moore began speaking eloquently about something or other, and small animals I'd never seen before scurried about as we looked out over the valley.

I was not really sure why I was there, and pretty much just did what Ronald D. Moore told me to, despite my fear of the unknown and of bodily harm to myself. I don't think I really trusted him, I just think I didn't have much will of my own. As you can see, I never made a choice of my own, and never voiced dissent, besides asking if I'd be safe. Maybe that's all I need, just to know I'm safe... or maybe I'm too trusting...

No comments: